News from the newsletters – August 2017

This is a summary of the articles and events taken from the newsletters sent to the Secretary from SEHA Groups and Societies. August 2017.

Bass Valley Historical Society

 Brighton Cemetorians 

  • The Cemetorian June 2017 has articles on some of the interesting burials at Brighton Cemetery including William Hutchinson (1864 – 1924) Victorian Politician and active Presbyterian; Captain Alexander Campbell (1805 – 1890) early Victorian settler who was in charge of a whaling station at Portland Bay from 1836 and Dora Bartels, a devout Catholic who undertook a novena to the Blessed Peter Julian Eymard, and was cured of her long standing pain and discomfort. This was considered a miracle and Peter Julian Eymard was later made a Saint, due partly to the miracle of Dora’s recovery.

Chelsea & District Historical Society

  • The Society operates a museum in the old Chelsea Court house. The City of Kingston is currently undertaking an extensive and authentic renovation of the Court House and it will be closed until late 2018/early 2019.

Cranbourne Shire Historical Society

  • The Guest speaker at the Christmas in July dinner held July 23 was Geoff Whiffen, who spoke about the Cranbourne Turf Club, which was established 150 years ago in 1867. Geoff is Chairman of the Turf Club.

Dandenong & District Historical Society   http://ddhs.com.au/

  • The Guest speaker at the Annual luncheon held June 17 was Briony Webster, Marketing Manager at the Dandenong Market who talked about the events and activities that commemorated the 150th anniversary of the market in 2016.

Dromana & District Historical Society  http://home.vicnet.net.au/~dromana/

  • Guest speaker Leigh Vinnell, spoke on the Dromana Tunnel at the June meeting. The Dromana tunnel runs under Arthurs Seat and was completed in 1973 as part of the South Eastern Sewerage outfall scheme taking sewerage from Carrum to Gunnamatta.

Frankston Historical Society     http://www.frankstonhs.org.au/

  • The Historical Society manages Ballam Park Homestead, built in 1855 for Frederick Liardet.

Friends of Cheltenham & Regional Cemeteries    http://www.focrc.org

  • Raves from the Graves newsletter has articles on some of the people buried in the Cheltenham Pioneer Cemetery including William Calder (1860 – 1928) first Chairman of the Country Roads Board and the namesake of the Calder Highway and Maria Millard who died at the Cheltenham Benevolent Asylum and was buried with two others in an unmarked grave. The Friends Group are raising money to restore the oldest headstone at the Pioneer Cemetery. There are links on their website if you wish to donate.

Hastings Western Port Historical Society     http://home.vicnet.net.au/~dromana/hastings/aHastingsFrontPage.html

  • The June newsletter has a report on the fire at the 1885 Holy Trinity Anglican Church in Hastings. It is thought to have been deliberately lit. John Woolley was the guest speaker at the May Morning Coffee; he spoke about his family history including Woolleys Beach and Woolleys Road.

Koo-Wee-Rup Swamp Historical Society

  • Barry Gracey, the President of the Pozieres Rembrance Association was the guest speaker at the Annual Dinner held May 28. The Pozieres Remembrance Association believes that the 7,000 men killed in the Battle of Pozieres in 1916 are not adequately recognised and they have purchased some land that was central to the battle in Pozieres for a memorial garden and to help protect the resting place of the 4,000 soldiers who were never found and still lie in the fields around Pozieres. To this end they are selling 7,000 bricks at $50.00 each to help raise money for the memorial (so far no money has come from the Australian Government). If you are interested in supporting this cause then you can donate via their website http://www.pozieresremembered.com.au/ The July newsletter had an article by Heather Arnold on local pioneers John Mickle, John Bakewell and William Lyall. The August newsletter had an article, also by Heather Arnold, on the soldiers listed on the Five Mile School (also called Koo-Wee-Rup North School) World War One Honor Roll

Lang Lang & District Historical Society   http://www.langlang.net/historical.html

  • On June 23 the Society unveiled a plaque on the first grave at the Lang Lang Cemetery – two year old Louisa May Pickersgill, who died in 1887. The plaque was unveiled by Ted and Calvin Jewell, great grandsons of James Baker, the original grave digger.

Mornington and District Historical Society      www.morningtondistricthistory.org.au

  • The June newsletter reported on the activities to commemorate the  125th anniversary of the  Mornington Football Disaster where 15 members of the Club were returning home by boat from Mordialloc. The boat capsized and there were no survivors. There is a monument in the town for the footballers http://www.morningtoncemetery.com/Denominations/Misc/Football/Football-Disaster.shtml and a book Fifteen Young Men by Paul Kennedy was published in 2016.

Narre Warren and District Family History Group    http://nwfhg.org.au/

Nepean Historical Society          http://nepeanhistoricalsociety.asn.au/

  • The Society was successful in their application to Museums Australia (Victoria) to obtain the services of a Roving Curator. Kitty Owens spent three days at the Museum and, amongst other things, examined the collection and noted some significant items and made suggestions on improving the interpretative material to tell the stories of the display objects.

Phillip Island & District Historical Society   http://pidhs.org.au/

  • The Society celebrated their 50th anniversary on August 4.

Rye Historical Society       http://ryehistoricalsociety.weebly.com/

  • The Whitecliffs newsletter from July-September 2017 has the first part of an article, written by Noel Erbs, on Water Supply and Sanitation on the Peninsula. There is also a comprehensive account of the many recent activities of the Society.

Somerville Tyabb & District Heritage Society      http://home.vicnet.net.au/~stdhs/

  • The June 2017 newsletter has many historical facts and anecdotes. It also has an obituary of John Graham O’Neill, long term Tyabb resident, who conducted a poultry farm in O’Neill’s Road – the road being named after his ancestors.

 Springvale & District Historical Society

  • The ‘Chapeau fantastique’ or ‘Mad Hatter’s collection’ is an exhibition of 270 hats – from Medieval to Modern. The exhibition is open Wednesday to Friday from 12 noon to 4.00pm at 7 Hillcrest Grove Springvale.   Also open for groups by appointment –  9547 6460.

Wonthaggi and District Historical Society      http://www.wonthaggihistoricalsociety.org.au/

  • The essay in the May 2017 Plod, written by C.Landon is entitled Tom Gannon’s Obsession. Tom Gannon was the editor of the Powlett Express and in 1955 began writing articles on claims of sightings of strange animals around Wonthaggi. The June Plod essay, also by C. Landon, is about John Sparks, a local lad who enlisted in the Great War and was Killed in Action in France in 1916. The July essay is about Bridge Creek School – Bridge Creek was an area between Dalyston and Kilcunda.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *